Started this again. Lots has changed, so blogging again.
1) Get new version of Ubuntu. These guys make it easy.
2) I chose ami-714ba518 since it has EBS and that means it remembers the instance between reboots
3) Fire it up and then log in
4) Log in as ubuntu and the server is the public DNS entry of the EC2 server
5) Start the updates & install Java JDK
# sudo add-apt-repository ‘deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner’
# sudo apt-get update
# sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk
# java -version
java version “1.6.0_20″Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_20-b02)Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 16.3-b01, mixed mode, sharing)
6) Now install Tomcat
# sudo apt-get install tomcat6
7) Test Tomcat
Enter this in a browser http://<public DNS>:8080
Up and running.
Next is to shut down 8080 and set up Apache with proxy to Tomcat